Kusadasi Turkey, Kusadasi Turkey Tourism, Kusadasi Vacations
Filed under Turkey Vacations
Kuşadası is a resort town on Turkey’s Aegean coast and the center of the seaside district of the same name in Aydın Province. Kuşadası lies at a distance of 95 km to the south from the region’s largest metropolitan center of İzmir, and 71 km from the provincial seat of Aydın situated inland. Its primary industry is tourism. Her neighbours are Germencik district from northeast, Söke one from southeast, Aegean Sea from west and Selçuk district from north
From 1086 the area came under Turkish control and the Aegean ports became the final destination of caravan routes to the Orient. However this arrangement was overthrown by the Crusades and the coast again came under Byzantine control until 1280 when first the Menteşe and then the Aydinid Anatolian beyliks took control.
Kuşadası was brought into the Ottoman Empire by Mehmet I in 1413. The Ottomans built the city walls and the caravanserai that still stand today.
In 1834 the castle and garrison on the island was rebuilt and expanded, becoming the focus of the town, to the extent that people began to refer to the whole town as Kuşadası (bird island).
However in the 19th century, trade declined in favor of İzmir with the opening of the İzmir-Selçuk-Aydın railway, as Kuşadası had no rail connection.
During the Turkish War of Independence Kuşadası was occupied from 1919-1922 first by Italian (till 1921), then by Greek troops. The Turkish troops won control of the city on September 7, 1922.
Under the Turkish Republic the Greek population was exchanged for Turkish people as part of the Population exchange between Greece and Turkey in 1922. It was a district in Izmir Province until 1954 and become the district of Aydın Province.
Until the first holiday apartments were built here in the 1970s Kuşadası was a fruit-growing rural district, it then grew into a small resort town with holiday flats. These were built as housing co-operatives, membership sold to families in Ankara, Izmir, Denizli and other Turkish cities.
From the mid 1980s Kuşadası grew again into the centre of mass tourism that we have today.
In 2005, the town was the location of a bomb attack causing five casualties, three Turkish nationals, British citizen Helen Bennett and the Irish student Tara Whelan.
Kuşadası caters to tourists, arriving by land, and as the port for cruise ship passengers heading to Ephesus.
In a controversial deal in 2003 the previously public-owned port was leased to a private company and renovated to attract luxury cruise liners. The Grand Princess docks here, along with other cruise ships.
There are beaches including the Ladies Beach, the beach at the centrum, the beaches between the Batıhan Hotel and the Nazilli Site, Guzelcamli Town beach and the Dilek Peninsula National Park beach.
Agents sell holiday flats and villas.
There are vendors of ice-cream, carpets, leather, and software, and bookshops selling books in English, German, Russian and other languages.
Old houses near the seafront, some of them converted to bars and cafes, are the remnants of old Kuşadası, which has become a modern-European looking town. The hills behind are built up with big hotels and blocks of holiday flats. The building boom in the late 80s and onwards has been continued into the hinterland of Kuşadası.